2.24.2007

Suddenly I see... Day 10

So I've figured it out. Everyone here drinks. Every single person. That's why I don't go out @ night, because everyone is going to the bars to get plastered. Lame. I need to find the other person in NZ that doesn't drink so we can hang out. Today was probably the coldest day so far, the wind is not dying down at all. Oh, I got my mom to sign up for Skype, which is this thing where you can call computers for free. It's amazing. I tried it out today. You should all sign up, then you can call me, for free, at really odd hours of the night. My username is samantha.underwood32 . Because I'm original.

I'll use this time to post things I've noticed.
~When you're checking the calorie content of foods, you won't find the word 'calories' anywhere. It will have a listing called 'energy' and the amount of energy will be listed in kj(kilojoules) 1 calorie is approximately 4 kj. Tricky at first, but it's pretty easy.
~I like you're standing on the bus & it goes over a judderbar (read: speed bump), you feel quite a bit like you're going to throw up... but in a good way.
~New Zealanders don't believe in window screens... there's usually a fly or two chillin' in my room... but more excitingly, there were two birds in our kitchen today when Hiren & I walked in. It was slightly awkward.
~Our campus has it's own bar... priceless.
~It's really hard to understand a Kiwi when they're mumbling.
~I'm pretty much going vegetarian for my stay here, as meat is soooo expensive. Hello tofu.
~It's socially acceptable not to wear shoes... anywhere. While I personally don't subscribe to this, I've seen people on the bus, in the grocery store and walking around town, not wearing any sort of shoe at all.
~Thrifting is amazing.
~Paper and plastic products are so expensive... I had to get a packet of loose leaf paper for classes & it cost me $4NZ ($3-ish US) for 250 sheets and $6($4.50) for a crappy binder to put it in.
~Everything made/grown locally is awesome and pretty cheap, including produce.
~I can't watch Grey's Anatomy on the ABC website because I'm not in the US. And they know I'm not... which is creepy.
~American music is everywhere.
~Kiwis spell the word 'curb' different... here it's a 'kerb'

Alright, enough for today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, first of all, I think you are living in my home!! Shoes are not mandatory?!?? AND you had BIRDS in your kitchen?! I am coming. I am on a plane, right now.

Samantha said...

woooooot

Anonymous said...

Omg, "kerb" that's great!

I will come and keep you company as the other person in NZ that drinks do not.

I WANT A KIWI! Gosh get a video of one talking! (Agh, I sound like I'm talking about a specimen but I REALLY WANT TO HEAR ONE!)

I really really want to see your roommates, too.

Keep it real, homie!

p.s. Watch my show yet?

p.s.s. Damn ABC website surveillence!