4.11.2007

Goodbye old friend... Day 56

Today I woke up and was still feeling the grog a little bit. Luckily, Emily brought my shoes back for me, as I was beginning to wonder where they were. We had to say goodbye to Steffen this afternoon, which sucked, but it was a good send off. I pretty much relaxed all day; I’m becoming quite comfortable with one of the hammocks. Later in the day, we got two new people, Rosie from England and Dave from Scotland, who sounds exactly like the actor that played Oliver Wood in the Harry Potter movies. I took a shower later in the day and let my hair air-dry. Apparently that doesn’t work in Fiji, your hair just kind of air-frizzes. The curls were out of control, but we can call it island chic. Around 8pm, I finally got my sevu sevu (a ceremony asking to be welcomed into the village). I had to present some kava in the ceremony, then we had to drink it. After the sevu sevu we had a weird church presentation. I was confused by it, then again, I’m not at all religious. They were preaching about why its bad to use kava… while we were drinking it…


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are okay- we were wondering how long you'd go unconnected!
Is preachiing about how bad it is while you're doing it something like church run bingo nights around here? ;)
*HUG* Enjoy the last few weeks dear!

Love,
Becky

Anonymous said...

Now I want to go live outside for a couple months. Is that boat the one that brought the two new people in?

The First Trip said...

I'm glad you're ok! I would have freaked if I saw the spider...no I woulda pissed myself and died. I'm so glad you aren't tramatized but it! I'm glad you're having fun!
Much love and be safe!
-Michelle

Anonymous said...

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!

ALWAYS get in good with the kitchen ladies and the payroll person.

Lurve.