4.25.2007

Happy Anzac Day... Day 70

I've accomplished absolutely nothing today, thank you very much. I need to start feeling better, stat. Anyways, today is ANZAC Day, which is the equivalent to Memorial Day in the US, kind of. It is when the Australian and New Zealand (and some other South Pacific nations) had their troops land in Gallipoli, Turkey, during World War I. So not exactly the same, but they are commemorating the troops that died, so it's kind of all about the same thing, really. This is a big celebration in both NZ an Oz, as well as a few of the other South Pacific nations, including the Cook Islands and Samoa.

Another point of interest, one that I forgot to mention whilst in Fiji. When I was in Labasa, staying the night when my flight left without me, I got into a conversation with two Fijian men. They couldn't figure out why I, a young Caucasian girl, was in the middle of Fiji, during political unrest. Even when I tried to explain to them what I was doing (I think they were a little buzzed...), they kept coming back to the same question. "Are you on that Survivor show? Where's your camera crew?" I wanted to say yes, but I'm not a liar. Survivor Fiji was filmed super close to where I was in Fiji though, I don't remember if I said it before, but the Survivor guys wanted Vorovoro for 'Survivor Island'. Too bad, we got there first... coupled with the fact that Tribewanted is a sustainable venture for Tui Mali's tribe, where Survivor is not...

Here's one of the many islands that were used for the taping of the show. By the way, it's not just one island, like they'd want us to think, it is actually countless locations... How strange.
The one in the middle of the shot is one of the Survivor islands, the one on the right is Mali Island, where I had to go for both the school and Mali Day. This photo is kind of weird though, it looks to me like the island is floating in mid air. Hmm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some thoughts on a few past blogs:

'Ever come home and the locks are changed'...sounds like the title of a country song. Get working on that; better yet, have Cat or Coop get working on that. They have a little more experience (with the country music). You should keep 20% interest somehow.

And the two guys who thought you were from Survivor...now honey... it's not Lying, it would be just Trickin'...and you could've completely taken this to a new level: tell them all about it...and say how hungry you're getting...BOOM! They buy you dinner! Keep telling them, and remember a ratty bandana that you have in your purse,and say, Yeah, Jeff gave this to me on the second day, I had something in my eye...and They say...HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR IT? Hmmmmmm.

And the new pic that you posted on the homepage w/ you in the hammock...fabby. Simply fabby.

XOXOXOXOXOXL,M

Samantha said...

Well one of them bought me a coke...

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised you didn't hold out for your new "favorite" drink, GROG.

Bean

Samantha said...

Yeah yeah, I've had about enough grog in my lifetime... although I'm sure they would have gotten some if I wanted it. They also offered me some of their fish. I said no. It stunk like feeesh.

Anonymous said...

LMAO, you are too much, my dear. I have to hand it to ya though, I probably would have lied.