3.17.2007

Hello Adventure... Day 31

Today was a nice little adventure. I woke up, sans alarm, around 8am. I tried to go back to sleep, but to no avail. I got up and made some toast for breakfast, then read some more of my book. Around 11am, I walked down to the open-air market, but it wasn’t too impressive. After that, I walked about a mile to the Whale Watch building and caught my bus to the pier. The whale watch experience was slightly amazing. Although I've decided that I do not like any sort of transportation that I am not personally driving, as you can see by my greenish gills. All in all, we had four whale sightings, but we saw one of the whales twice, so it was really three. They were so amazing to watch on the surface. One of the guys that I met here went on the helicopter tour and couldn’t believe the enormity of the whales. When you are on the boat, much like an iceberg, you only see about ten percent of the whale. The whales that we encountered were all Sperm whales, which, on average, are the size of a small jetliner, with a heart the size of a VW Beetle. Whilst on the cruise, we also saw quite a few fur seals, which are completely adorable. Overall, I took way too many pictures and videos, pretty much all of the same thing, but it was one of those once in a lifetime opportunities. How often are you going to see a majestic creature like this in the wild? Sadly, it’s less and less, as they are highly endangered. With no help from the Japanese government, who hunts them for “scientific research”, but in reality, sells the meat for less than tuna. Anyways, that’s enough lecturing for today, I’m going to go to bed and finish my book, then go to sleep. Hopefully tomorrow I can find this international surfing contest that the locals are talking about…

3 comments:

frenzykat said...

How did Frankenfurter say it???

I MUST BE VERY PRAAID.

And I am. You are doing an awesome job on this blog. And the vid of me in the bathtub...verrrry tasteful.

I lurve you, and miss you like the sun. 3 1/2 months and counting.

Anonymous said...

That was amazing! I want to go swimming in the body of water stat.

Anonymous said...

hey, is that ur g-ma behind you??? way to take the seniors bus... lol... miss ya |--|/