3.16.2007

Kaikoura... Day 30

Today was slightly ridiculous. First, I woke up to go to class at 10am, as our class had a late start today. Upon arriving at the classroom, I found no one there. I continued to meander throughout the building for about 20 minutes, then I got my course pack out. Apparently we were supposed to meet at the communication disorders village. I got lost going there too… Anyways, once I got there, I went to the designated building and tried to get in. It was locked. After realizing this, I tried to gain entrance by knocking repeatedly. Somehow that did not alert anyone to my presence. I also went to the reception building, but no luck, it was locked as well. You can’t say I didn’t try. I went back to the first building, to wait for my next class to begin. I later found out that our professor changed the building number, so that’s why the one I was trying to enter was locked. Lame. Anyways, after class, I walked back to my dorm and packed up for Kaikoura. I tried to pack minimally, but as a girl, that never works out right. I did end up not having a completely full bag though, which I am proud of. Around 1:15, I caught a city bus downtown to catch my shuttle to Kaikoura. On the shuttle, which was a grungy little bus/van, I met a woman from Santa Fe, who was really nice. We talked for quite a bit about various trips we’d taken. After three treacherous hours on the bus, we arrived in Kaikoura. I had no idea where I was going. Eventually, I found the Albatross Inn, my home for the next 2 nights. It’s a quaint little property, but not what I expected. I went into town and bought some groceries so that I can eat for the next few days without breaking the bank. I took a leisurely stroll on the way there; Kaikoura is a really gorgeous place. I made my way back and cooked… a sandwich. It was delicious though; I didn’t know how good pastrami could be when you’re starving. After eating, I went outside to read some more of my current book, The Da Vinci Code. I don’t know what I expected of this book, but it is really good. I’m enthralled. After reading for a while, another backpacker, Andy, came out & we had an extremely long conversation, about NZ, tourists, our homes (he’s from the London), etc. Then a guy named Ben came out and joined us, he’s from Seattle. All in all, I think I was out there talking for about three hours. It was nice to get to know some other travelers. It’s about 10:30 and I’m off to bed, but I have an exciting day ahead of me tomorrow, I’m going whale watching! It was pretty dear (read: expensive), but it’s something I have to do… and you only live once.

No comments: