3.11.2007

The home stretch... Day 25

Today we got up fairly late, around 8:00am. We had a leisurely breakfast, then we went out to a special patch of the island, that has been cared for by every group of Americans that has volunteered on the island. We had chop down weeds that were trying to strangle the baby trees. It was interesting work, since we were using a pretty crazy tool. The air had a lot of dust and pollen in it though, so I couldn't really breathe... which leads me to this picture. I'm not crying, my allergies are eating my face. Too bad. After an hour or so, we went back to the shack and had some lunch, then went out to the oak grove to weed out some oak trees, since they aren't native to the island. We only did that for about an hour, then we went back and cleaned up the shack. Once everything was cleaned up, we mopped ourselves out of the building and walked down to the jetty to get on the ferry. There were heaps of people waiting for the ferry, which surprised a lot of us, since we hadn't seen many people where we were working. We actually had to wait for the second ferry to come and get us. It was pretty sad saying goodbye to John, since he was going out on a schooner for six months, so we really knew we weren't going to see him again, but it was cool getting to know the old guy. We hurried off the ferry to catch our shuttle back to school, which took a deceptively long amount of time. As soon as I got to my room, I took a long shower, since none of us had showered... all weekend. At least we smelled together...

2 comments:

The First Trip said...

Lol! YAY FOR THE SHOWER!
I'm sorry about your allergies! I hope you're still having fun!
-Love and Miss
Michelle

Anonymous said...

You look like a cartoon in that first picture. That wee man is adorable.